Frequently Asked Questions

Why won't the court clerk tell me what documents I need to file in my lawsuit?

Court clerks are not permitted to give you legal advice. Court clerks can provide you with general administrative information, such as available court services, filing fees, and court scheduling. Clerks may not, however, tell you what documents you need to file, the meaning of court documents, how to complete documents or forms, or provide other legal advice. If you are unsure about court procedures or have questions concerning your lawsuit, you should contact a private attorney licensed to practice law in Idaho, or contact your local Court Assistance Office.

Why won't the judge accept my phone calls or make an appointment to speak with me about my lawsuit?

In order to protect the rights of all parties in a lawsuit, judges will not communicate with parties or their attorneys without all litigants being present. If you need to communicate with a judge about your lawsuit and you are represented by an attorney, your attorney will know the proper procedures for contacting the court. If you are representing yourself in a lawsuit, you should contact the judge's court clerk and schedule a hearing if necessary.

Trial Court Administrator

Roland Gammill
P. O. Box 896
Lewiston, ID 83501
Telephone 208-799-3077
Fax 888-789-3193

Merilynn Scharnhorst - Deputy Trial Court Administrator
Telephone 208-799-3056

Judicial Branch - State of Idaho State of Idaho

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2024 by Nez Perce County
Back To Top